This summer I will be walking from Vancouver, BC to Ottawa, ON with Crossroads Canada, a pro-life non-profit organization that was created in 1995 as a response to Blessed JP II's call to youth to promote a new Culture of Life.
So how exactly am I going to manage to walk this much in only 3 months? Well I will be walking with several other young people. We will be walking in pairs and for a few hours at a time each. Each person will be walking about 5 hours every day, Monday through Friday. On the weekends we will be fundraising for our cause as well as going to Churches to promote the pro-life movement. The walk begins May 17th and ends on August 11th.
Can I sleep at all? Well, yes and no. Some of the shifts are overnight and so those people sleep during the way. We will be walking alongside an RV which is where us girls will be sleeping, while the guys will be in tents. We will also be staying in host homes on the weekends while we rest ourselves.
I have created this blog in order to write down my experiences, stories, thoughts, and post pictures of my adventures for the summer.
You may be wondering why I am doing this. Well for some the answer may be obvious, to others perhaps not as much. I have decided to do Crossroads for many reasons - the main one being that I want to fight for the lives of the unborn in a bigger way than I have already been doing. Also, I have never been out West nor have I done anything quite this adventurous. I realize it will be difficult spiritually, mentally, emotionally, and physically, but I know that this is what I meant to do this summer and so I appreciate all the support I can get.
Finally, because I will be walking for 3 months, I will not be working at all this summer. As you may or may not already know I am currently in my second year at Our Lady Seat of Wisdom in Barry's Bay, Ontario. It is a small Liberal Arts College that is faithful to the Magisterium. I wish to go back to OLSWA for a third year but only if I can somehow attain the amount I need: $11,000. Through your support and donations I may be able to go into my third year at the Academy and further my Catholic studies.
If you would like to support me financially or spiritually, my contact information is:
Bethany Atkinson
c/o OLSWA 18 Karol Wojtyla Square
P.O. Box 249
Barry's Bay, ON
K0J 1B0
*If you are mailing something to me after April 28, then use my Ottawa home address (available upon request)
email: atkinson.beth@gmail.com
For more information about Crossroads, check out this link! www.crossroadswalk.org
No comments:
Post a Comment